The Emmanuel School of Mission (ESM) in Rome is hosted by the very famous convent of the Trinité-des-Monts, entrusted to the Emmanuel Community since september 2016.
Live in the center of Rome: The Eternal City
A historical place with a lot of opportunities
The Spanish Steps (Piazza di Spagna): visited by more than 20 million tourists each year
It is dominated by the Trinité-des-Monts Church, which is reached by a series of large stairways built 5 centuries ago. These stairs transform every tourist into a potential pilgrim who could meet Jesus in the church.
The Convent of Trinité-des-Monts
A famous French place
On the hill of Pincio in Rome the convent and the sanctuary of the Trinity of the Mounts were founded in 1495 by the King of France Charles VIII who donated them to the Minimes after the services rendered by Saint Francis of Paola to his father Louix XI.
The royal convent and the church were built between 1502 and 1594, the date on which the sanctuary was consecrated.
The convent was occupied by the Minimes until the Revolution. Then in 1828 the domain was entrusted to the Sisters of the Sacred Heart, founded by the French Saint Madeleine-Sophie Barat.
Since the begining the Trinité-des-Monts is a French place. After the Sisters of the Sacred Heart, the Monastic Fraternities of Jérusalem took care of it for 10 years before the whole domain was entrusted to the Emmanuel Community in September 2016.
An historical place for faith, art and science
The Minimes living at the Trinité-des-Monts were great scientists and accomplished artists. The convent and the sanctuary are therefore full of artworks admired by the whole world. We can mention here the refectory painted by Pozzo, the Descent of the Cross by Da Voltera, and three unique pieces of art and science: two anamorphoses and a very huge astrolabe.
Beautiful prayer places
Sanctuary of Trinité-des-Monts
Located at the top of the Spanish square, the Trinité des Monts sanctuary attracts more than one million visitors per year. Mass is celebrated there every day, in French during the week and in French and Italian on Sundays. Times of prayer and welcoming put ourselves at the service of the people who enter to help them approach Jesus.
The chapel of Mater Admirabilis
In the middle of the 19th century a sister of the Sacred Heart painted an image of Mary in a corridor of the convent. Pope Pius IX gave it the name of Mater Admirabilis . The corridor has been converted into a chapel and has since then been a place of grace and pilgrimage.
Mater Admirabilis is the guardian figure of all the children of the Sacred Heart schools throughout the world.
A great community life
Peaceful, ancient gardens
Sport facilities available
Historical refectory and bedrooms
The students of the ESM live in this historical place where monks and nuns lived during 5 centuries. The corridors remain filled with the prayer of those generations of men and women who gave their lives to God. Today we still live in the cells of these monks, enjoying the comfort improvements brought by the work of 20 years of restoration.